Jul 20, 2010

Hypnobirthing

After talking to a few people and doing some research, I have been recommended to look into Hypnobirthing.

So last week I went out and bought the book...


I have read about 1/3 of the book so far and I must say I am impressed and pleasantly surprised.  It is a lot more factual that I would have thought and has really given me a lot to think about.  Already I am feeling better about the impending labour this time, and I haven't yet gotten to the section with the tools to help during labour.  In particular, I have found that the book is helping me by showing just how bad my last labour was handled.  Knowing that I have chosen a much better obstetrician and hospital as far as low intervention rates, there is already a great chance that my experience this time will be nothing like the last time.  It has helped me realise why I felt so much pain, why my labour progressed so slowly before getting the epidural, and why I felt so disappointed in myself and my birth experience.

I'm also reading Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering:


I borrowed this from the library yesterday after the midwife at my OB's office recommended it.

I did try to do research on birth last time, but I'm hoping this time around it will be more effective, now that I have been through it before and know a bit more about myself it that situation.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Hey Kath!

I had both of those books and also The Pink Kit (VBAC specifically) and I had one hypnobirthing session. I really enjoyed it all. I wouldn't say that I took it really that seriously but I got my VBAC and it was a 'tolerable' labours so all good ;)

Good luck!

Tammy

AJ said...

Sounds like my birth...I'll be doing a lot more reading and research next time too!! And finding the right doctor!

Anonymous said...

Glad youre getting so much out of the books! Did you get the cd with hypnobirthing? I have downloaded it if you need it. Gentle Birth Genlt Mothering is amazing! Another great book is 'birthing from within' by pam england I think.

Kaz :O)