Mar 4, 2008

30 week appointment

We ended up seeing the midwife for our appointment yesterday afternoon as our OB was running very late due to a delivery that day. Our midwife is fantastic, so lovely and very helpful. I found out that my iron levels are lower than what they would like so she has put me on a supplement and I am to try and increase the iron-rich foods in my diet. Other than that, my blood pressure and baby's heartrate were both still really good. Apparently at this stage bub is on the upper side of average size wise which is what I expected.

I also had a chat to her about the pain I have been feeling through my pelvic area and down one leg. It started around 2 weeks ago, was excrutiating for a while there, then calmed down a bit to a manageable pain. The worst pain is rolling over in bed at night - sometimes I physically can't roll over for the pain. Getting up and walking after sitting can also be a struggle. It still hurts to walk around, but it is more manageable.

Apparently it is sciatic pain caused by hormones making my pelvic bones shift. Not much I can do for the pain except see a physio for some exercises and avoid specific activities that make the pain worse. Probably the reason why it got better for a while was that the baby has moved up higher since my last appointment and is now floating around changing positions, so not as much pressure on my pelvic area. (Also explains the intense movements I have been feeling lately). Nice to know that it is going to get worse after engagement!

No comments: