Nov 5, 2010

Physio Appointment

The appointment at the physio yesterday was pretty much what I expected.  I've been told I need to severely reduce the amount of activity I am doing, and add in significant rest periods throughout the day.  Um, yes, well that will be easy as a stay at home Mum to a toddler!

But she has basically explained that it is a necessity to prevent the problem from worsening and causing other problems, particularly because they are so limited in what they can do for the problem while I am pregnant.  And that if I can't rest myself at home, then they will make me with a week's stay in hospital on enforced bed rest.

My lower back is also suffering a lot more too with the extra work it has to do because of the weakness in other areas, and as the pain has caused me to develop a bit of a limp, that pressure has been added to my lower back too.  She managed to loosen the muscles there during the appointment and my back is feeling a lot better.  Not a whole lot she can do for the pubic/groin/leg pain though as expected.  She has me taking panadol in the afternoon and again before bed to help with the problem at night.  I also managed to get enough relief from the burning pain yesterday for a 45 min nap during the day by laying on my back, raised by a heap of pillows.  So I'm now trying that technique to help me get to sleep at night for the first couple of hours in particular.

So, the physio wants to see me in a week's time to check on how things are going.  If it hasn't improved at least somewhat or has gotten worse, she will be speaking to my OB about the next step.

Although after even 1 day of doing basically nothing yesterday, I can notice the difference this morning.  Still pain, but a definite improvement on yesterday morning.  I'm not the type of person who can just sit back and do nothing though, so it was a real struggle to do it for even one day.  But I don't have a choice, I need to take care of my body so that I'm able to properly care for both my toddler and baby in 5-9 weeks time (yes I am counting!).

1 comment:

Lea said...

Kath, I am so sorry you are suffering so much :( Living with pain is not much fun. I had a lot of the pain you described in the last month of pg with Cali and Oscar, but I could rest 100% of the time, I can imagine how hard it is to do that with an active toddler :( Can anyone come and stay with you for a while to help you out? Would you consider putting Jake into some type of care a few times a week to help you get some rest? Thinking of you, wished I lived closer, I would be over to help if I could :)
xo